Tuesday, October 23, 2012

A Stranger in All Lands


The inspiration for the writing occurred after viewing a mostly harmless cartoon on a good friend’s facebook wall.  It was a comic which portrayed a woman unhappy and nagging at a man because of his body odor; which is a blatant stereotype I hate, the woman as constant nag.  Of course then, the “natural” answer as drawn and presented is the man wising up and becoming homosexual, pairing off with a new stud, and living happily ever after.
                                                                                     
As you know, being gay is a choice, at least that’s what conservative Christians want you to believe.  But, isn't the mentality of “ditch the bitch and make the switch” just as ignorant?

There’s another popular photo circulated online; in it, a group of people are holding a poster which says, “Bigotry wrapped in prayer is still bigotry.”  By the same token, wouldn't sexism, racism, and homo/hetero phobia wrapped in humor still be sexism, racism, and homo/hetero phobia? 

I wanted to comment; and carefully considered to how to make and contradictory perspective without offending a friend.  He’s gay, as are most of our mutual friends.   I posted one word ‘Typical.” to hopefully stir conversation.  The same friend and another responded with the similar thoughts that this was just humor and perhaps I needed one.

I was sure my friend meant nothing malicious when he posted the comic drawing.  Though seeing and hearing that sort of rhetoric from someone I’m close to hurt.  Perhaps you think feeling hurt was an overreaction, but things are bit different when you’re a stranger in all lands.  As some of you probably understand from experience, you are usually on defense, or prepared to be at the drop of a hat. 

People who are a minority in the community they live in have a very different daily experience.  There’s an easy comfort in majority, the feeling that others around you are of similar gender, race, creed, sexuality, etc… people don’t always have the luxury of that experience.  Some people don't have any community where they are a majority. 



German political scientist, Elisabeth Noelle-Neumann originally proposed the idea of the “Spiral of Silence” in 1974.  This theory refers to the tendency of people to remain silent when they feel their views are in opposition to the majority view on a subject; Noelle-Neumann’s theory largely relies on the idea that the opinion must have a distinct moral component (i.e.: sexuality, abortion, legalization of marijuana), no one will experience the Spiral of Silence while considering what movie to see on a Friday night.

I witness heterosexuals being hateful to homosexuals; homosexuals being just as hateful right back, and the majority at the ends of the Kinsey scale pissed off at bisexual men.

I've read about straight parents who've experienced difficulty in conceiving or adopting try to create more adversity for gay and lesbian couples who hope to raise or adopt children who desperately need a family.  The flip side of that coin is being sneeringly called a “breeder”, when the two gay men next to me have children and I don’t. 

Sometimes I can make it through a bar night or event where myself and the people I am closely with are not asked pointedly (without precursor or pleasantries) about our sexuality, relationship, or gender.  I've heard gay men who have certainly lived through much discrimination make racist comments about black men.  Some straight people assume I am HIV positive because I widely associate with gay men and some gay men have convinced themselves I must secretly have a penis, because I’m dominant and had sexual relationships with gay men. 

Can you imagine having to debate simple decisions like which public bathroom you should use when you are transgender?  I have friends which deal with this daily.  To wonder which space you’re most likely to blend into, to hopefully create no stir.  And knowing you’ll probably create some ripples, no matter your choice?

I am a queer, Pagan, dominant, polyamorous, six-foot tall, leatherwoman who has earned her Master’s cover.  I have found no place where I blend… at least for long. 
                                                                                                    
In kindergarten, I was the freakishly tall kid in the back row. 
In grade school, I was still freakishly sized… and with an overbite. 
In high school, I was the only woman learning in the welding shop class, during my art period, with hopes of doing metal sculpture. 

As a twenty-one year old woman, becoming a long-haul truck driver, then as twenty-four year old woman, first making my way into the leather community, the roads haven’t been smooth.  I didn't set out to have a hard way and be different, I just was.  My mother will verify this.  I also pierced all my fingertips with ornamental jean jacket pins at eight-years old, but that’s another story. 

As an adult woman, I've lived with two men; one straight, one gay, and been romantically involved with both.  Most of my family and friends are gay leathermen. Trust me; one doesn't blend with straight society making those lifestyle choices.

I've earned my Master’s cover at age thirty-six, but I’m still often asked, “What are you doing here?”  Both lesbian leatherwoman and gay leatherman, have said, “Why would you be at a (gay) leather event when you’re a woman?”  The answer is simply, this is the community in which I can most identify. If I refrain from attending leather events, because I am the gender minority, I lose my community, the opportunity for charitable outreach, and precious good times with family, friends, and lovers.

I've heard from more diverse mouths then I can count statements about “staying with your own kind”.  I’ll be damned if I can figure out exactly what my kind is.  Where is the queer, Pagan, dominant, polyamorous, six-foot tall, leatherwoman box?

And if I’d happen to find that exact niche would I want to be exclusively with people exactly like me?  It would get pretty boring to be stuck in a box with others exactly like us, wouldn't it?

A week or so after the comic was posted online; I began a private dialog with my friends.  I didn't want this to affect a friendship, so I shared more of my perspective.  They shared theirs, and both sides worked to better understand the other.  I also talked about the fact of how I feel I always have to be ready to deflect bullets, to help protect myself and the people I love.  As they have the best vantage points, the wound is always deepest from the people whom you are closest to. Very fortunately, our friendship is intact.

Consider always being out of your element, and what it's like to live (in as much grace as possible) daily in that fashion. For all which is said in today’s society about bullying, equality in civil rights, inclusion, and things “getting better”; often we don’t really see when we’re hateful to our own kind.

My wish for today is that people be kind and understanding to the people of this world who don't fit in boxes.

Like me, and many others. 

I don't know what life would be like without the people I love who have recognized kindred in a stranger.   They are the tribe of family who see each other past the lines of race, gender, age, or sexuality; they are my family.   Blessedly, we can call each other our own.

3 comments:

  1. I would like to say that I find your truth and the writing about it, to be wonderful. I feel a connection to you every time I read your blog. I have only met you once, but through your writing I find many things that make me think of you as family. Not just leather family or as one who has an open sexuality continuum but as a person who has lived their entire life not fitting in. Of one who has found love in unconventional relationships and has made a life in spite of living outside the norm. Your writing shows your kindred spirit. It’s brave and thoughtful and open. Thank you for the chance to feel connected to another. Thank you for being vulnerable and putting yourself out there. Thank you for being yourself.
    Chelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am small and have no facial hair. So some think I am a queen. I have leather, yet they assume I am sub. I am old, so they assume I am a 'troll'.
    I am all these things and more. I refuse to be put in a box, because I am so much more. And that causes strife.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lady Justice,
    I remember asking you once, “Is it difficult being accepted as a dominant woman at predominantly Gay leather events?” I was of course referring to the bias of some Gays against women & the larger issue of society’s arbitrary need for a woman to not be allowed to be strong in a sometimes seemingly, very hateful world. Gay men’s love hate relationship with hyper-masculinity can be a slap in the face to see a woman measure up when their insecurities say they themselves don’t "as a man". That isn’t your fault though. What does mental strength have to do with gender or sexual preference? Nothing!!!

    Sadly, the yardstick is what we make it to be. Unfortunately, the labor of the mind is too cumbersome for the masses when the easy solution is to attack someone else to feel better about themselves, instead of doing the mental work necessary to make themselves a better person to feel better. Seeing our own bullshit is difficult and can be very painful.

    I agree that “homo/hetero phobia wrapped in humor [is] still sexism, racism, and homo/hetero phobia”.

    The main cause is the human brain to begin with! Our brains create biases to protect ourselves. Termed Cognitive Economy, it helps us not touch a red glowing thing because we learned that it might be hot like when we touched the hot stove. I don’t give the reason as rationale! That is the root, but we are an intelligent species and are responsible for our own Thinking or lack thereof. People need to use critical thinking to bypass the brain’s organizational biases when it goes “rogue” with stereotyping and the pain it causes.

    You and I both understand the undertaking that would require globally and its likelihood of happening at any pace other than too slow to really see without the distant past… That said, you are making a difference by even just this one post. Helping others to think! You are doing your part and having to pay the price.

    ~Hugs & apologies from me for those who seem to have severe synaptic limitations~ Some don’t have the ability, so it falls to the rest. Standing up may not help you, but it will help change all minds to clearer logic coupled to reason in the long run. Thank you for that and the privilege of your acquaintance! I am not immune either and the reminders help me too.

    You know I don’t fit in the box either and it would be much easier for me to fit as well …but I DON’T FIT! People like easy. Some Dominants being upset that they like this “pup’s” dominant way or that I should be a scaredy cat not a FOO DOG, or that I enjoy women with men sexually but identify as Gay, causes leather therapy & therefore conflict. I hear you about the fit. I soooo hear you! Know that I am beside you in this with complete respect for taking the harder path. True leaders usually do!!! Thank you! ~Lix~

    ReplyDelete